As these summer days continue to get hotter, we’re all looking for more ways to ‘stay cool’. Here are some green ideas for you to do just that!
Body: The most natural way to stay cool is to start with YOU.
- Wear linen, cotton and loose clothing that can naturally get rid of the moisture from your body.
- Stay hydrated by drinking less caffeine and alcohol and consuming more water.
- Eat cool foods such as salads and sandwiches that will naturally cool your body. Avoid using the stove and oven, they will heat up your house and your body.
- Go swimming! Boston area is surrounded by water, utilize it to keep your body happy.
House: A lot of energy goes into taking care of homes, but with these simple steps you’ll save energy and money!
- Naturally cool your home by shutting all the windows, blinds and shades in your house during the day. Air conditioners are great for instant cooling, but they use a lot of electricity, especially if they are kept on all the time.
- Use Natural/Organic Bedding on all beds in the house. It’s socially and environmentally responsible. Additionally organic bedding is lighter, leaving you more cool on those hot nights!
- Rely on the rain! If you plan on watering your garden, turn on sprinklers based on the weather. You’ll end up saving yourself a lot of water by letting mother nature do it for you.
- Line-Dry your clothing. Line-drying saves a crazy amount of energy, and is free! Even if you line-dry half your clothing, it can save an average of 723 pounds of your annual CO2 emissions.
Even if you practice a few of these green tips, you’ll be helping save energy, staying cool, and ultimately reducing your carbon footprint!