March – May 2014
2nd Annual Massachusetts Urban Farming Conference
Saturday, March 8, 2014 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Northeastern University Curry Center Boston, MA
Massachusetts has the potential to offer an abundance of fresh, local healthy food to its residents. Urban farming is a smart growth strategy that improves our urban food systems and contributes to sustainable urban environmental management and climate change adaptation.
The annual Massachusetts Urban Farming Conference (UFC) is designed to advance the opportunities and address the barriers involved in cultivating a resilient and thriving urban farming sector. The UFC is a forum to share information regarding what is currently happening in Massachusetts. Join the Urban Farming Institute, City Growers and MA Department of Agricultural Resources in mapping out a sustainable vision for urban farming in Massachusetts that promotes economic and environmental sustainability, as well as addresses social justice.
Click HERE to register for the conference and find more details (agenda, discussion topics, speakers, workshops and more!)
The UFC is a place to share knowledge, information and ideas regarding urban farming. The UFC is designed to:
- Report on current Massachusetts urban farming issues and projects
- Address infrastructure gaps in the urban farming industry
- Serve as a resource on cutting edge models for healthy, sustainable practices and more
The UFC brings together participants representing all aspects of urban farming including, but not limited to, farmers (including roof top, chicken, bees, etc.), commercial buyers, policy makers, investors and all others. The UFC fosters solutions, sustainable networks and business relationships. This is achieved with interactive panels and expert discussions on diverse and relevant topics with distinguished Conversation Leaders and a networking reception.
Contact Rose.Arruda@state.ma.us for Vendor and General Inquiries.
Contact Crystal@isesplanning.com for Sponsorship and Scholarship Inquiries.
Spring Equinox Chocolate, Food & Beer Tasting @ the Taza Factory Store!
When: Thursday, March 20, 2014
Where: Taza Chocolate Factory
561 Windsor Street
Somerville, MA 02143
Cost: $40 for Members // $45 for Non-Members
What: Chocolate, Beer & Gourmet Local Food
Check out the incredible local menu, provided by Chive, below:
- Sasquatch Smoked Bluefish on seeded crackers, with homemade creme fraîche (Gloucester)
- Poached Pear & Valley View Chèvre Tartlets with spiced honey & sea salt (Topsfield, Essex)
- Smokey Carrot and Heirloom Bean Hummus with petite sprouts on radish crisp (Beverly, Essex, Maine)
- Chile Braised Pork Shoulder on sweet Nitty Gritty corn cake with savory Taza chocolate sauce! (Newbury, Vermont, Somerville)
- Sweet Potato latkes topped with miso creamed swiss chard (Beverly)
- Pita bites with Tender Crop Free Range Chicken, preserved lemon relish and beet yogurt (Newbury, Ipswich)
Registration is now open for the Third Annual Summit and 25th Annual Sustainable Business Conference!
Click HERE to register today at our Early Bird Rate (valid until 3/15/14)
The 2014 Summit will explore sustainability through the lens of entrepreneurship and collaboration. The day will bring together many of New England’s most successful entrepreneurs, community leaders, business owners and academics to develop new partnerships and action plans to build the local, green, and fair economy of the future.
Theme: Sustainable Entrepreneurs Take the Lead! Examples of Partnerships and Collaborations that Build a Strong Local Economy!
When: Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:30-12:30 p.m.
Optional Networking Lunch 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Afternoon Sessions: 1:30-4:30 p.m. *Registration Open Soon*
Where: University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
SBN’s Summit is by invitation only, but we are always looking for new leaders to engage in our work. If you know of other’s that would benefit from attending the summit, please encourage them to register: Summit Registration
The Summit is organized around five pillars of a strong local economy:
- Growing the Green Economy
- Deepening Business to Business Relationships
- Transforming the Local Food System
- Community Capital for Economic Development
- Building Strong Local Economies and Vibrant Communities
The Summit will feature short inspirational keynote speakers, interactive networking activities, breakout educational sessions, and open space technology programs to generate new action plans for change.
We will also be introducing optional afternoon sessions to continue the conversation. More information will be available in February.
After so much success last year, we can’t for the 2014 Sustainability Leadership Summit! Give us a call at 617-395-0250 with any questions regarding registration or sponsorship inquiries.